Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Diabetes

On February 22, four years ago, Lainey was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. To celebrate diabetes' 4th birthday, she and I drove to Ogden for her Endocrinologist appointment. We left at 5:45 in the morning to make it to "Dr. Chad's" office by 9am.

We like to stop at the gas station on the way, use the bathroom, and pick up a treat. Lainey chose Fun Dip.

Lainey and Mommy waiting for the Physician's Assistant, "Dr. Chad".

Lainey has a huge crush on Dr. Chad. When she first saw him, she hid behind me. Then she popped her head around me, said hi, and started blushing. Blushing! I've never seen Lainey blush before. Dr. Chad asked about her birthday, since she turned 5 on January 30th, and Lainey couldn't stop giggling.
At the end of the check up, Dr. Chad asked Lainey if she had any questions. Lainey nodded her head and was silent for a minute. I could tell Dr. Chad was getting very serious, thinking she had some deep diabetes-related question. Then Lainey leaned a little closer, and in a quiet voice said, "Do you have any Barbie's?" She was wondering if Dr. Chad had Barbie dolls at his house since he has two daughters. He and I both chuckled about that one!

Height: 44.5 inches or 3'7.

Weight: 49 pounds

Blood Pressure: 86/60
We've been struggling with high numbers and a growth spurt the last few months, so I wasn't too surprised that Lainey's A1C was 7.8%, up from 7.1%. Dr. Chad made some adjustments to her pump, and her 7 day blood glucose average is 169, which is fantastic!

6 comments:

Donna said...

Sweet, Sweet Girl!!!! :)

Sounds like a great visit... I am happy with ANY A1C under 8%, personally. (we have not had one yet).

We have to get together again! I miss you and those pretty girls of yours! :)

Nicole said...

Happy 4 year Diaversary!!

How sweet that she has a crush on her Dr.! She's adorable :)

Joanne said...

She is absolutely adorable... I love her smile! Happy Diaversary!

Betty Heath said...

I love the pic of Lainey getting her height measured. She looks like she is in love. What a hoot! Thanks for the pics of Dr. Chad. ..Barbies... :)

NikDuck said...

I found your blog through Joanne's blog. My daughter is also 5 and just about the same weight/height as yours! My daughter was just diagnosed over the summer at the age of 4 1/2. I look forward to reading more of your blog. You can visit mine at www.vabeachduckfamily.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

Lainey is beautiful! Love your blog and stories!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...