Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Days Leading Up to Diagnosis

The days of February 4th to February 22nd were pretty rough. In those 2 1/2 weeks, we took Lainey to the doctor 3 times , just to be sent home with the words "she's fine". As a mother, I knew Lainey wasn't fine. Something was wrong with my baby.
Lainey cried constantly and wanted me to hold her all the time. She digressed from walking to crawling. She didn't have much energy to pull herself up to her toy table. I remember I pushed her around the house on her bike for 45 minutes one day to make her stop crying. It worked, but my legs were tired afterwards.
I remember Lainey would wake up in the night because her diaper leaked. She even leaked on my lap while we were at Daddy's basketball game.
On February 17th, Aunt Courtney took Lainey to Grandma and Grandpa's house, so Dad and I could attend a church activity. I was worried that she'd cry the entire time without me, but she did fine. Grandpa remembers her being extra thirsty that night.
Thursday, February 22nd Lainey wouldn't eat anything. She laid on the couch all day. I remember she was breathing heavily. When Dad got home from school, he immediately said we were taking her to the doctor. I was scared. I knew something was terribly wrong, but I was in denial. I remember feeling that Lainey would have to be hospitalized.
Dr. Groberg sent us to the hospital to get Lainey fluids because she was dehydrated. Within the hour of being admitted, Lainey was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I remember the look of shock on the doctor's face. I remember feeling relieved and scared at the same time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...